Waste Recycling Program
It’s our goal at Package Free to provide sustainable solutions for your daily life. There’s nothing we love more than seeing someone make a small, but impactful, lifestyle change like starting to buy bamboo toothbrushes instead of plastic ones.
But we don’t want to ignore the fact that when making these changes to reduce your waste, you might end up with some waste on your hands, like those pesky plastic toothbrushes.
Our advice? Do the work to research local companies around you that take hard-to-recycle items - for example many hardware stores recycle old twinkle light strands and most grocery stores take back plastic bags. It takes a little extra work on your part, but if you’re truly interested in living sustainably, educating yourself is a huge part of the process!
At our Package Free Williamsburg location, we want to help also! We’ve teamed up with an amazing company called Terracycle to provide bins in our stores where you can bring the following hard-to-recycle or non-recyclable items to be responsibly disposed of:
- Electronic waste including: home phones, computer cables and accessories, keyboards, VCR/DVD players, hand-held computers, pagers, radios, cameras, video recorders, desktop computers and monitors, printers and scanners, copiers, typewriters, fax machines, stereos, tuners and turntables, receivers and speakers.
- Oral care waste including: plastic toothbrushes, empty tubes of toothpaste and dental floss containers.
- Cleaning supplies waste including: brooms, mops, buckets, swiffers, dust pans, spray bottles, empty detergent bottles, lid tops and dryer sheets.
- Personal care accessories waste including: non-electrical hair care and styling tools such as brushes, combs, picks, clips, hair bands, head wraps, bobby pins, hair ties, scrunchies, shampoo and conditioner bottles, detangler bottles, gel packaging, non pressurized hair spray bottles, wax jars, pomade tins, hair dye packaging, blow-dryer attachments like combs and diffusers.
- Filters waste including: water filters and accessories.
- Plastic bag waste including: plastic grocery and shopping bags.
In these boxes, we do not accept the following:
- Traditionally recyclable items. We have recycling bins right outside of our store we’d be happy to guide you to if you don’t have access to recycling where you live.
- Food-soiled or perishable items.
- Yard or food waste of any kind.
- Household hazardous waste such as lithium ion batteries, pressurized canisters, pesticides, paint or medical sharps.
- Personal care items with contents remaining in them such as lotion, nail polish or shampoo. Please only bring empty, clean and dry containers.
Find more information on Terracycle here.